Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My First Sewing Project

Whoever said to start simple and move your way up doesn't know me.  I always live by go big or go home.  So, I started sewing with making my boyfriends niece a bunny stuffed animal.  I got the idea from none other than Martha Stewart, and I just tried it.

Maybe I should have rotated it before uploading...
The Encyclopedia of Sewing and Fabric Crafts, by Martha Stewart actually comes with an interactive CD that has patterns.  Unfortunately I don't own a working printer... ok thats a lie, I haven't gone and bought more ink. To adapt I made my own patterns using crayon paper I've had since I was a kid. For the fabric I used the reminants that I bought at Joanns on Saturday. Luckily, I found a nice cotton grey fabric, a pink polyester, for the ears, then I also had picked up some pink tulle.  At this point in time I didn't know what I would use the tulle for but I did come in handy.

I made the pattern a little chubbier to give me the opportunity to fail...
miserably :)
So I created a body, cut two bodies out with the grey.  Then I made a pattern for the arms and ears.  For each cut out four.  For the ears I cut out 2 from the pink so I could make the inside of the ears look real (?).
I guess I forgot to take a picture of the pink ears...
Let it be known that I have NEVER sewed before in my life... I understand the general idea but I had to learn while I was going with this project.  I knew that the bunny would look cool if I used thread that matched the ears along the body so when it got turned inside out it had a cool stitching.  I started with the body and it took me three tires to get the tension and speed right. HAHAHA
I didn't take a picture of the other side for a reason. Bad News.
Can you see that my practice happened a lot.  Three to be exact.
Apparently I did take a picture of the other side.  Ugh, don't judge me.

I moved on to the ears and arms and flipped everything back to the front, and surprisingly the bunny started looking similar to the ones Martha made. :) I attached the ears and now it was time to stuff and hand sew the rest. Score 1 for me.
bunny
Handsewing at 3 in the morning.

I decided the rabbit needed an accessory. So I pulled out the tulle that I picked up with the other fabric and it was the perfect amount for a ballerina tutu. I put snaps so the bunny could really wear it.  Also, if she wanted to put it on a doll, it was an easy transfer. Yay!


















Time for the final look -

My boyfriends niece liked it!

It was a lot of work.  A total of 5 hours.  However, it was my first time and I bet I could easily drop that number in half.  Its amazing how rewarding making something from hand is!


1 comment:

  1. I love it! You're in trouble, though because my sewing/craft room has been sitting empty for months (silly Andrew seems to think that's the only way it works for our budget) and now you've got me wanting to get back in there!! :)

    Keep it up, you'll be amazed how quickly your sewing skills progress.

    ReplyDelete